Sustainable Traffic Solutions evaluates the operation and safety of intersections and roadways to provide a safe environment for the traveling public.
The following representative projects demonstrate our experience with traffic operations and safety.
Traffic Operations Studies
STS studies the operation and safety of intersections and roadways to identify hazards and evaluate possible improvements. Joe Henderson relies on his experience with the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, AASHTO Green Book, Highway Capacity Manual, other published standards, and professional judgement.
• 30th Street/Willett Drive Traffic Signal Warrant Study - Laramie
• Pine Street/Front Street Multi-Way Stop Study - Louisville
• 120th Avenue Traffic and Air Quality Study - Westminster
• High Hazard Intersection Study – Casper
• Bar Nunn Traffic Study – Bar Nunn, WY
• City-Wide Speed Study - Laramie
• Dillon Road / West 144th Avenue Origin- Destination Study - Broomfield
Work Zone Traffic Control
Sustainable Traffic Solutions has designed construction phasing and work zone traffic control for major Denver Water and Aurora Water projects. The work has included the design of traffic control for closure of roads and multiuse paths, detours, and the design of shooflies. STS works with local agencies to negotiate construction phasing and traffic control that is acceptable to all parties.
• Denver Water Conduit 16 (84” Water Line) Installation from Ralston Reservoir through developed areas to the Moffat Treatment Plant in Lakewood
• Abilene Street 66” Water Line Relocation Construction Phasing and WZTC - Aurora
• Harvard Avenue 66” Water Line and Sewer Line Relocations Construction Phasing and WZTC - Aurora
• Denver Water Conduit 30 (60” Water Line) Installation at US 285 / SH 121, Construction Phasing and WZTC - Lakewood
Traffic Engineering Services
Joe Henderson has been performing traffic engineering services for over 15 years for the City of Brighton and for the City of Casper for over 11 years. STS has had an agreement with the City of Thornton since 2010. The projects have included conducting traffic studies, designing improvements, and collecting data.
• Brighton, Colorado (2000 – Ongoing)
• Casper, Wyoming (2004 – Ongoing)
• Thornton, Colorado (2010 – Ongoing)
Joe Henderson performs development review for for the Cities of Brighton, Colorado and Casper, Wyoming. In Brighton, Joe has reviewed traffic and roadway design aspects of developments for over 15 years. The projects have ranged in size from development of an individual site to the 1,800-acre, mixed-use Prairie Center development. Joe has been the primary reviewer of transportation aspects of the Prairie Center development for over 10 years. In Casper, Joe prepares traffic impact studies for developments on behalf of the City. He discusses traffic impacts of the developments with the City and WYDOT staffs, and helps the agencies negotiate with developers.
• City of Brighton (2003 - Ongoing)
• City of Casper (2004 - Ongoing)
• Goldsmith and Meridian Metro Districts • Denver, Greenwood Village & Douglas County
Railroad Grade Crossing Evaluation
Joe has studied the operation of railroad grade crossings and developed alternatives to improve their safety. The following examples demonstrate his experience in this type of project.
• Trail Crossing Signalization at UPRR PUC Application - Fort Collins
• Quiet Zone Studies – Fort Morgan, Brush, and Sterling
• US 550/Tremble Lane Traffic Signal & Railroad Crossing Treatment Design – Durango
• Grand Park Drive Grade Separation PUC Application – Grand County
Our Clients Say It Best
“Joe has served the City for more than 15 years providing sound recommendations to City staff on complex transportation issues. He is a valuable resource whom I look forward to working with for years to come."